Monday, July 15, 2013

2 Timothy 1:7

 "For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -2 Timothy 1:7

Here is a thought that I had in my mind this morning as I was reading the book of 2 Timothy.  I find this verse to have so much in it that I just love.  When I think of the Spirit and what He brings into my life, I don't always think of the self control.  It is a part of my life that I wish I could do better, and it is a great encouragement to know that He is not a Spirit of fear, but of power and love and self control.  When I look at the sin that I have committed in even the past week, lies that I have told, lust that has crept into my mind or just simply eating too much food and being a glutton.  This verse stands out to me as something that I can tell Satan when he attacks me, that he has no power over me, and that I have a Spirit of self control in me that allows me to say no to these temptations.  I am continually amazed at the new things that God teaches me about His word.  Thanks be to God our Father, Jesus Christ our Lord and the Holy Spirit our Helper.

No comments:

Post a Comment